Saturday 24th May 2008

Hand me those cupcakes, I need my sugar fix! Well, it certainly feels like that there are a whole load of cupcake junkies out there at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that everybody in Paris is cupcake crazy. Well the proof has definetly been in eating the pudding! So much so that I’m doing another “Pimp my cupcake” session. It’s already booked up with a waiting list. Wahey!

So next week my kitchen will become a cupcake factory with prepping to do for my class and an order of 500 cupcakes. I’ll probably be suffering from a repetitive cupcake making injury by the end of the week.

My “500 cupcakes” client is after a super fluffy icing (kind of cloud like). The classic buttercream icing just wasn’t fluffy enough for me. So off I went on the quest to find the fluffiest icing possible. I didn’t want to use cream as it has the risk of melting if the it gets too warm. I stumbled across the idea of doing a meringue based icing (sometimes called a 7 minute icing). What I didn’t understand though is that every recipe I came across seemed to contain enormous amount of sugar. Do you really need all that sugar (175g sugar to 1 eggwhite)? I tried mine with a little less and it worked perfectly fine. What’s nice about this icing is that after a couple of hours, it sets and becomes marshmallow-like. Miam miam! If you’re worried about the egg whites (which will be partially cooked) then use powdered egg whites instead.

You can flavour/colour your icing with anything you fancy. I used a rose syrup in this picture but will be using vanilla and pink colouring for the event. Yes, the cupcakes will be super girly with little pink and white heart decorations.

If you don’t hear from me next week it’s probably because I’m suffering from an overdose of cupcakes. I know I’ll end up having to make 520 cupcakes because at least 20 of those will end in my tummy. I mean how can you resist to a cupcake like that? ;-)

Fluffy cloud icing

1 egg white
50g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence (if you’re using other flavouring start off with a tsp, taste and then add more if necessary)

Combine the egg white with the sugar in a heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan with simmering water (=bain-marie) and whisk for 5 minutes. The icing should become thick and glossy. Take off the heat, add the flavouring and coloring (if you’re using any) and whisk for another 2 minutes (5 + 2 minutes = 7 that’s where 7 minute icing name comes from). Ice cupcakes, sprinkle with decorations and leave icing to set. Icing enough for 12 cupcakes.

For a plain vanilla cupcake recipe, click here.

Here’s my pick of cupcake books:

If you liked this recipe, then try these...

Brioche

Dulce de leche brioche buns

Edible Immigration Tales
[caption id="attachment_1026" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Homemade special brew - Ask first .

Mum's the best: Chocolate & Orange bread

Pumpkin & Olive bread

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “A taste of heaven – fluffy cloud cupcakes”

1. Johnson says:

aha! very tasty…it seems to be very delicious and sweet

i have to try to make it…

nice sharing…thanks…keep it up

2. i love r&b music becaue it sounds soothing to my ears.–’

3. adamoerikom says:

Stunning blog and good article. High 5 for u man !

4. I like the post, Keep it up

5. Taras says:

Impressa:) or as a Portuguese, vpechatlilso!

6. Mmmm…those cupcakes look so dreamy. 500 cupcakes? WOw!

Hey melissa,
    I’ll try and explain it the best I can. Instead of piping really close to cake, pipe further away that way you get the full volume of the nozzle. Also the icing needs to be super stiff to hold the shape. Hope that helps.

8. Melissa says:

I’m a rookie… How do you get the icing to “tower” like that?

9. Haley says:

We would like to feature your fluffy cloud icing on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

blog.keyingredient.com/

10. [...] a classic must-have for any kids party and so has an often nostalgic feel for grown ups (a bit like fairy cakes). Bombas & Parr, the host, create bespoke jelly moulds aswell as organising crazy jelly events. [...]

11. [...] da Maricler in questo cake(buonissimo tra l’altro, provatelo!); il frosting invece viene da Rkhooks, ed

12. sooishi says:

wow 500 cupcakes!
    Ils sont tr

Sophie – Actually the frosting is cooked using the swiss meringue technique: whisk the egg whites and sugar in a double boiler = bain-marie to 130 degrees (which takes on average 5mins) and take off the heat and whisk until cooled (takes about 2mins).

14. Sophie says:

Very interesting idea for the icing! Like a meringue, but no need to cook?

Good luck with the 500 – it sounds like quite a challenge storing and transporting that many all safely, especially with a delicate topping!

Thanks, Tarah. And yes, the icing is quite light.

Madeline – Just so you know, I used a large egg and my cupcakes are not the regular sized ones but the mini ones, so one egg white stretches far. It also depends on how generous you are with the icing.

Mari – Merci beaucoup, just hope everyone at the party will find them cute too.

MariannaF – You’re definetly right about the cupcake craze being a niche thing and it’s for sure they’re never going to be as big as they are in the States or the UK. It seems that the “branch

Thanks, Tarah. And yes, the icing is quite light.

Madeline – Just so you know, I used a large eggs and my cupcakes are not the regular sized ones but the mini ones. Thanks for the best wishes.

Mari – Merci beaucoup, just hope everyone at the party will find them cute too.

17. MariannaF says:

Great cupcakes and nice substitute to buttercream! It’s funny, I was thinking about whether cupcakes had started a craze yet in Paris (I live here too). Although I don’t see the “insider” view like you, in my opinion it hasnt become THAT big but has managed to create hype amongst a somewhat niche market. But I think the day cupcakes become as popular as in the U.S is still a long time to wait hehe..

18. mari says:

Cute, cute, cute!

19. Madeline says:

I love, love, love this photo! It’s amazing that one little egg white makes enough icing for 12 cupcakes. I can’t wait to try it. Oh, and good luck!

20. Tarah says:

Mmm, those look so light and delicious! Beautifully done!

Thanks, Amanda. I’ll try and hold myself back on the cupcake eating. Don’t really want to have to deal with going cold turkey afterwards.

22. Amanda says:

The pictures with the cakes on the glasses feel very whimsical. cupcakes are everywhere, and hopefully your class is ready for these tiny little treats. Don’t fall too deep in to a sugar coma!