Sunday 24th February 2008

prunecake.jpg

I’ve had a bottle of “plum” oil (oil made out of the stones of plums) sitting in my cupboard for the last couple of months. When I smelt it for the first time I was very tempted to dab a bit behind my ears and wear it as a perfume ;-) (I have a perfume with vanille/almond notes). But instead I thought it would make a delicious base for a cake. Piece of cake to make, it won’t take you more than 10 minutes with a mixer.

Prune cake

3 eggs
100g sugar
80g whipping cream or very thick double cream
115g flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g “plum” oil*
75g prunes, chopped and rolled in flour**

Preheat the oven to 160

11 Responses to “It’s a piece of cake…Prune teacake”

1. Valere says:

Perles de Gascogne – Virgin Plum Oil – France

March 11, 2008

Thanks for your nice recipe!
    Please feel free to contact me if you need more info or recipe ideas with plum oil.

3, place de l’Arm

2. tf says:

… and it WAS delicious!!! Mmm.

3. Indigo says:

I’ve never seen anything like the plum oil but it looks lovely, and this cake is gorgeous; I love the colours against the background. ^__^

4. Liska says:

Hmn, I didn’t know there is something like the plum oil… This cake looks fabulous.
    (your post reminds me of the oils I’ve brought from Morocco that I wanted to use as perfume. Those kinds of aromas are wonderful :-)

5. brilynn says:

I’ve never had plum oil.
    This cake looks delicious but I’d love to add some armagnac to it..

6. Zoe Francois says:

Oh yes! I must have that plum oil. I’ve never tried it and now I’m obsessed with having some.

Thank you for posting about prunes. They are one of my favorites and they don’t get the respect and attention they deserve.

Lovely cakes! Zo

7. amanda says:

Plum oil sounds so exotic. I doubt my local grocery store has it, but I will definitely search for it. Your little cakes look adorable.I’m not a big fan of prunes in general, but throw them in a baked good and it’s all good.

8. Two new things to me – I have never tried prune cake nor have I seen the oil. It looks delish!

Thanks, Meeta. Me too I’m a great fan of teacakes. Hardly any effort for a delicious result.
    Andreea- I found a link for the “plum” (the official French translation) for the oil I used. They have lots of information about the product. Click on plum oil link in the recipe.

10. andreea says:

wonderful. i am very intrigued by the plum oil. never heard of it …

11. Meeta says:

Looks delish Rachel. I love teacakes with fruit. Always adds a great aroma.