Saturday 9th February 2008

valent2008_2.jpg

“Won’t you be my valentine?” A question which will be on many people’s tongues this 14th. Not mine though. I tend to be a bit more cynical and find the whole thing way too commercial. But then I guess if you’re unluckily attached to someone who needs that kind of reminder, than once a year is better than none a year.
I may be cynical in regards to valentines but I do have a small weakness for anything in a heart shape, though. For some reason I often end up making a cake, biscuits or other foods in heart shapes.
I’ve been wanting to make mooncakes ever since I saw this. Mooncakes are a chinese p

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Say it with…valentine mooncakes”

1. claire says:

Good post very interesting! please keep up the good work!

2. [...] a test kitchen for all things mooncake related in prepation for my class this Wednesday. I had made them a while ago but I’m now trying to perfect my snowskin recipe, mooncake technique and find [...]

3. [...] menu”…Makes me want to do that teenagery fingers in throat gesture. Unlike the past years where I’ve made something for you romantic folk out there this year I thought it was [...]

4. Liska says:

Rachel, I hope one day I will motivate myself to write also in English ;-)

5. Cheryl says:

These are so adorable. I have never tried mooncakes before.

Zorra – No problems. It was great fun participating and the entries are amazing.

Steamy kitchen, Tina & Kevin – Thanks so much for popping by and leaving a comment. Let me know if you try and make them. Love to hear how it goes.

Liska – Thanks so much for the comment. It was really means a lot. Your blog is beautiful too (only wish I could understand it, will have to do a google translate ;-) )

7. Liska says:

Your blog is so beautiful and inspiring!

8. Kevin says:

Those look good! Nice heart shapes.

9. Tina says:

Wow! Those are soo freaking cool. I may have to attempt Mooncakes. They look so very awesome!! Great job and adorable on top of that!

10. Sandra says:

About the cake molds, my guess is that you should be able to find them at a good price in Paris in ‘Chinatown’ (Paris 13e)! I also found these online (in the U.S. though):

These look really yummy, thanks for the recipe.
    I live in France so write me if you need more cake help :o )

11. zorra says:

Your right with the commercial thing, so I think is’t much nicer to prepare something homemade. And your Mooncakes looks awesome! Thank you for your participation.

Amanda – Totally feeling your love for making heart goodies for loved ones. I think it’s much nicer to give to people when they’re not expecting it. If you want a more traditional filling try red bean paste or check out this list of recipes.

Rasa Malaysia – Thanks, the problem with shortbread is that it has a high fat content which tends to distort the biscuit when it’s baked. Unlike mooncakes which tend to hold the form well.

13. Yes yes yes, so pretty. LOL. I made some heart-shaped shortbread cookies in Dec…I just love the shape. Your shape holds up pretty well, mine sorta went out of shape in the oven…well, some of them. ;)

14. amanda says:

I am sucker for anything red, pink, and heart shaped. And yet I hate Valentines Day :) But it doesn’t stop me from playing up to the holiday’s treats like chocolate, champagne, pink flowers, or heart shaped goodies. Your mooncakes look so cute. I am trying to play around more with chinese cuisine to appease my mom, especially with Chinese New Year upon us.