Saturday 19th May 2007

Coconut mousse - white

My fridge is stuffed with copious amounts of Dulce de leche or as the French say ‘confiture de lait’ at the moment. I am researching into various ways of using the stuff (any suggestions welcome). We already use it in our ‘coquetines’ (Argentinian biscuits) we make at La Cocotte. I tried making dulce de leche financiers this week. Not too bad, need to work on the recipe. I’ll post it once I get it right.

The other day I came across Seven spoons Food blogging event: ‘Sugar high Friday: shades of white this got me thinking of white combinations to go with dulce de leche. Coconut felt like a natural pairing as the original Argentinian biscuit recipe for ‘coquetines’ uses desiccated coconut. I always thought desiccated coconut looks like snowflakes (hence the title). I made these with the help of my lovely assistant Lois (one of the kids I look after). She used a spoon of nutella instead of the dulce de leche and decorated her’s with coloured hundred and thousands.

Coconut mousse

Coconut & dulce de Leche mousse

400ml can of coconut milk
400ml whipping cream
6 tbsp caster sugar
6 leaves of gelatin
50g desiccated coconut
and a few spoons extra for decoration
6 tbsp of dulce de Leche

6 glasses

Soak gelatin in ice-cold water. Whip cream to soft peaks, add sugar half way through. Mix the 50g desiccated coconut with the coconut mix. Fold together the cream and coconut milk. Squeeze the water out of the gelatin, heat gently in a pot until melted. Add a spoon of the cream mixture to the gelatin. Mix, then add the gelatin to the cream. Folding gently but making sure it

11 Responses to “Snowflake coconut & dulce de Leche mousse”

1. May Andersen says:

May Andersen

I Googled for something completely different, but found your page…and have to say thanks. nice read.

2. Helen says:

This would be gone in one minute in my house…just by me…I love European style coconut like this.
    The dulce de leche brioche rolls are gooey to make but they taste wonderful.

3. Ales says:

I love your picture! and your mousse sounds delicious, I will definetely try it ; )

4. Brilynn says:

I love the dulce de leche in the middle, that sounds fabulous! And if I had all that dulce de leche in my fridge, I’d be eating it on EVERYTHING!

5. tara says:

Thank you so much for your participation! The mousse is perfect, and the name so very evocative and romantic. I love dulce de leche, so I’m always looking for excuses to consume more!

6. Jerry says:

Hmm coconut and dulce de leche. Never heard of it. Never really had dulce de leche and I live in Texas. I’m bookmarking this to make.
    P.S. Lovely photo!

7. This is superb!! I love dulce de leche (it’s big here in Brazil too) and I’m always looking for new ways to use it, just like you.
    I made a brioche filled with it and it was just delicious – I got the recipe from Helene of the blog Tartelette. This is the link, in case you’re interested: http://technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com/2007/05/dulce-de-leche-brioche-rolls.html

Mallow – I’ll keep you updated on the dulce de leche recipes. Fingers crossed I’ll have another recipe next week.
    Nora – Thanks for the link, I just took a look, looks a delish. Great combination brioche & dulce de leche
    Sara – Thanks for the compliment, I do try my best (to some degree of success, not always tho), the dulce de leche is supposed to be the little surprise waiting in the middle.

9. Wow, beautiful visuals….by just looking at the pictures, I didn’t expect that lovely caramel color to pop out at me in the second one! Nice.

10. Nora B. says:

R, that looks delicious. And I like the contrast of colours. I’ve only just recently discovered Dulce de leche & this is the recipe that got me interested:

I haven’t made the rolls yet but I just made the Dulce de leche yesterday, so now I am all set to give it a go.

11. Mallow says:

Two of my favorites flavors put together – it looks fabulous. I can’t wait to see what else you do with dulce de leche. I live for the stuff!